For millennia humans have recognized four tastes, but in the 1980s a fifth taste first isolated in Japan gained worldwide acceptance - and took off like a rocket! Learn about meaty, musty, savory umami in this episode.
- How Umami Works
- Umami: Why the Fifth Taste Is So Important
- Chinese restaurant syndrome
- Umami the Fifth Basic Taste: History of Studies on Receptor Mechanisms and Role as a Food Flavor
- What is Umami?
- Making Use of Natural Umami Flavors
- Evolutionary Biology: The Lost Appetites
- Why Do We Bother To Eat Bitter?