Hi there. I'm sure you can agree that lists are sometimes comforting. Because of that, I've begun a list of words that sound different from their meaning. All entries below are taken from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary. If you have a word to suggest, leave it in the comment section below and I will add it to our list. Who knows, perhaps someday this list will be absolutely complete. Thank you and I hope you find this list comforting.
Restive ?res-tiv, adj.
1. stubbornly resisting control
2. marked by impatience or uneasiness
Nonplus ?nän-?pl?s, n.
1. a state of bafflement or perplexity
As a transitive verb:
1. to cause to be at a loss as to what to say, think, or do
Inflamamable in-?fla-m?-b?l, adj.
Noisome ?no?i-s?m, adj.
1. offensive to the senses and especially to the sense of smell
Spendthrift ?spen(d)-?thrift, n.
1. a person who spends improvidently or wastefully
Trenchant /?tren-ch?nt, adj.
1. keen, sharp
2. vigorously effective and articulate
3. sharply perceptive : penetrating
Disabuse ?dis-?-?byüz, trans. v.
1. to free from error, fallacy or misconception
Enormity i-?no?r-m?-t?, n.
1. an outrageous, improper, vicious, or immoral act
2. the quality or state of being immoderate, monstrous, or outrageous; especially : great wickedness
Fulsome ?fu?l-s?m, adj.
2. aesthetically, morally, or generally offensive
3. exceeding the bounds of good taste : overdone
4. excessively complimentary or flattering
Toothsome ?tüth-s?m, adj.
1. a : agreeable, attractive
b : sexually attractive
2. of palatable flavor and pleasing texture
Malinger m?-?li?-g?r , trans. v.
1. to pretend or exaggerate incapacity or illness so as to avoid duty or work
Ingenuous in-?jen-y?-w?s, adj.
2. a : showing innocent or childlike simplicity and candidness
b : lacking craft or subtlety