Hi there. I’m sure you can agree that lists are sometimes comforting. Because of that, I’ve begun a list of words that sound different from their meaning. All entries below are taken from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary. If you have a word to suggest, leave it in the comment section below and I will add it to our list. Who knows, perhaps someday this list will be absolutely complete. Thank you and I hope you find this list comforting.
Restive ˈres-tiv, adj.
1. stubbornly resisting control
2. marked by impatience or uneasiness
Nonplus ˌnän-ˈpləs, n.
1. a state of bafflement or perplexity
As a transitive verb:
1. to cause to be at a loss as to what to say, think, or do
Inflamamable in-ˈfla-mə-bəl, adj.
Noisome ˈnȯi-səm, adj.
1. offensive to the senses and especially to the sense of smell
Spendthrift ˈspen(d)-ˌthrift, n.
1. a person who spends improvidently or wastefully
Trenchant /ˈtren-chənt, adj.
1. keen, sharp
2. vigorously effective and articulate
3. sharply perceptive : penetrating
Disabuse ˌdis-ə-ˈbyüz, trans. v.
1. to free from error, fallacy or misconception
Enormity i-ˈnȯr-mə-tē, n.
1. an outrageous, improper, vicious, or immoral act
2. the quality or state of being immoderate, monstrous, or outrageous; especially : great wickedness
Fulsome ˈfu̇l-səm, adj.
2. aesthetically, morally, or generally offensive
3. exceeding the bounds of good taste : overdone
4. excessively complimentary or flattering
Toothsome ˈtüth-səm, adj.
1. a : agreeable, attractive
b : sexually attractive
2. of palatable flavor and pleasing texture
Malinger mə-ˈliŋ-gər , trans. v.
1. to pretend or exaggerate incapacity or illness so as to avoid duty or work
Ingenuous in-ˈjen-yə-wəs, adj.
2. a : showing innocent or childlike simplicity and candidness
b : lacking craft or subtlety